Mid-Year Book Freakout TAG!

I'm freaking out so much that half the year is already gone and I haven't read as many books as I'd like that I've just about given up on doing NaNoWriMo this month. I've only read 18 books this year so far... 18 books! I'm hoping BookTube-a-Thon will help me catch up on that, but once school starts up in September again, I won't be reading much anymore. That's just the reality of it, I guess.
Anyways, I'm gonna do the mid-year book freakout tag to wrap up the... 18 books I've read so far.
Here we go!
1. Best book so far this year.
I really, really enjoyed Crown of Wishes. Not a lot of books have been 5/5 stars for me this year. So I'd have to say that, or Arcadia by Tom Stoppard. I read it for class back in March and enjoyed it a lot
more than I thought I would.
2. Best sequel so far this year.
Lord of Shadows was fantastic! I felt iffy about The Dark Artifices after Lady Midnight but Lord of Shadows felt really well put together. I enjoyed it a lot.
3. New release I haven't read, but want to. 
Too many - Difficult Women & Hunger by Roxane Gay, The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli, When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon, and many, many others.
4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year. 
Either Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo (a collection of fairytales and myths in the Grishaverse, which is a world I absolutely love) or Warcross by Marie Lu (all I know is this is about a hacker, so I'm sold. Also it's Marie Lu, who's an auto-buy author at this point.).
5. Biggest disappointment.
I haven't DNFed anything yet. But Empress of a Thousand Skies continues to sit on my currently-reading shelf half-read. It's just not as interesting as I had hoped. As for something I've read, Jesse's Girl by Miranda Kennelly was extremely mediocre.
6.  Biggest surprise. 
Public Relations by Katie Heaney and Arianna Rebolini [review] - I was expecting a typical drama-filled romance, but this had a lot more depth to it than I thought!
7. Favourite new author. (Debut or new to you.) 
After reading The Crown's Fate, I have to go with Evelyn Skye. Even though I read her stuff for the first time last year, this novel really has me excited for what she's going to put out next!
8. Newest fictional crush. 
Jason. Freaking. Grace.
9. Newest favourite character.
Mark Blackthorn really grew on me in Lord of Shadows.
10. Book that made me cry. 
I want to say A Court of Wings and Ruin, but oh lord, What to Say Next by Julie Baxbaum [review] so unexpectedly make me ugly cry. Oh! Also The Inexplicable Logic of my Life by Benjamin Alire Sáenz... maybe I cry too much... moving on!
11. Book that made me happy. 
Again, What to Say Next - are you paying attention?
12. Favourite book to movie adaptation.
Not book-to-movie, but I started watching the second season of Shadowhunters and it's... dare I say, good?
13. Favourite review I've written. 
I really loved putting together my YOU SHOULD BE READING Heroes of Olympus post! I'm working on another right now!
14. Most beautiful book cover I've bought this year. 
The Inexplicable Logic of my Life - I haven't bought it yet, but I got an ARC and damn, that's a beautiful cover.
15. Books I want to read before the end of the year. 
It's quite a list, I must say, so here's just a few:

  • The House of Hades and The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan
  • A Darker Shade of Magic Trilogy by V.E. Schwab
  • The Chemist by Stephanie Meyer
  • Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeline Thein
To keep up with all my reading, add me as a friend on goodreads and let me know my blog sent you! Remember, reading is supposed to be fun, it shouldn't stress us out, and we shouldn't be freaking out... even though we do anyway.

Comments