Review: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Hopefully this review goes well, because I don't actually have the book in my possession right now, I lent it to a friend who loves dystopian.

The Darkest Minds takes place in a dystopian future, six years after a nation-wide epidemic breaks out. This epidemic is eventually called IAAN (Idiopathic Adolescent Acute Neurodegeneration) and it only effects kids ranging from 8-14 (or 10-14, not sure I don't have the book in from of me sorry!). IAAN wipes out 98% of the generation.
The main idea the gets the plot rolling is that the government is essentially afraid of the kids that survive because they develop abilities at the age of 10. These abilities are classified in colours; Read, Orange, Yellow, Blue, and Green. I'll let you read the book to figure out what abilities go with the colours. (I heard a few people say that you never find out one of the colours and it's confusing cause you have to figure out what they are but that's not true at all, I found it pretty easy to follow.)
Our main character is a 16 year-old named Ruby. She was first effected by IAAN when she was 9 and watched her classmates drop off one by one. But when she turned 10 she developed an ability of her own and was collected by the government to be thrown into a "rehabilitation camp" that's really more like a concentration camp.
In this world, when parents start to see their kids developing powers known as "Psi", they can contact PSFs (people who work in the camps and the Psi branch of government) to take their kid to the camps where they are tested and categorized into the colours. You learn almost right away in the beginning that there are certain colours with abilities more dangerous than others, but I think it's cool to find out for yourself so I won't spoil it.

I rated this book 5/5 stars and went on to do the same for the bridge novella In Time, and the sequel Never Fade. I really enjoyed the action and fast pace of this novel and couldn't put it down! All the characters had a lot of depth to them too, which I always enjoy. There was always something new that you were learning about each character. Plus, they all have completely different personalities, which makes for interesting dialogue sometimes. One of them is even a mute, which is interesting considering that the book takes place in Ruby's head. Props to Bracken for writing a character who doesn't speak.
I also don't want to go too into the characters because something happens that I don't think I should mention. However, I loved all the characters because of their depth and I grew attached to many of them!
On top of that, I laughed, I cried, I felt all the feels.

Once I finished this book I got online and ordered the next, and while I was waiting for that in the mail I got on my e-reader and bought the novella. If I could rate this series as a whole I'd probably go past the 5 star limit.
The third and final book in this dystopian trilogy, In The Afterlight, is set to be released September 16th and you can bet that I'm counting down those days.
I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves watching character dynamics, loves dystopian, and/or loves superpowers.

Have you read the trilogy? If not, do you plan to?

Comments