Review: Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid


Title: Let's Get Lost

Author: Adi Alsaid (debut)

Genre: Contemporary, Young-Adult

POV: Third-Person, Past

Average Rating: 3.79 Stars

My Rating: 3.5/4 Stars

Goodreads
Book Depository | Barnes & Noble | Chapters/Indigo
(I bought my signed copy at Target for 40% off! Great deal!)


Let's Get Lost follows a girl named Leila on her road trip to see the Northern Lights. The story is told through the point-of-view of four other teens she meets along the way: Hudson is a part-time mechanic looking to attended a prestigious college; Bree has been hitch-hiking wherever people will take her for months; Elliot loves his best friend; and Sonia fell in love while trying to grieve. Leila... well you have to read the book to find out.

While this novel is in third person, each section featuring a new stranger only focuses on the mind of the stranger. It isn't until the last that we finally see what's going on in Leila's mind.
This book takes the "show don't tell" rules of writing very seriously. When you first meet someone, you don't know everything about them right away; the author slowly reveals little things about the character's lives whether that be through conversation, gestures, etc. It's very interesting to see how each character does or doesn't live and the way people interact with them.
I found the pacing pretty moderate; not too fast, not too slow. I personally prefer faster-paced books, but I think moderate was just what I needed in this book to really enjoy it. I was able to take my time and didn't find my self constantly wanting to know what happens next, which we all need sometimes.
I was surprised to find romance in many parts of this novel. I can't say too much about it without spoiling you, but it plays a key role in a couple of the character's stories. However, self-discovery remains the strongest theme.
Leila was a fun, refreshing character. She brought life to every page she was present in, and it was great to read a character that doesn't take herself too seriously. The other characters felt a bit heavy, so Leila was a great way to even-out the tension. Let's Get Lost is really about how she affects the lives of the other characters and she had the perfect personality to do so.
A few clichés within this book really put me off. Clichés are the reason I don't pick up contemporaries often; they bring me out of the story and I hate forcing myself back in.

This contemporary novel takes place mostly in the United States, which normally I don't have a problem with when I'm given directions (ie, east, west, north, south). But in this case, I literally had no clue what the difference between Tacoma and Louisiana was - they could be cities, they could be states, I really didn't know. All I really knew was that Leila was going north. I wish we could've been given a map that showed us the path Leila took through the country and up through Canada because I really didn't know where I was. I like to know where I am when it comes to road trip books.

I really appreciated the real-ness of the characters. Each had their own struggles that you could either empathize or sympathize over. It also reminds you of the struggles we all go through, and you never know who could be going through tough times; it's important to be kind to everyone you come across, as Leila was, to remind them that good things are always on their way.
This novel is one I will definitely read again when I need a good "pick-me-up" because it's the perfect book to remind you of good things. Plus, it's a great adventure (even if you don't really know where she is, like me). Also, I really enjoyed the Doctor Who reference, it made me laugh.
This novel is full of unique characters and fun circumstances. I'd especially recommend to hardcore contemporary lovers; I promise you'll love it if you fit this description.
After this book, I was very satisfied and ready to jump into another book; perfect if you've found yourself in a reading slump!



Comments