Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag!

I try to do this tag every year, mostly because I think it's fun to look back on what you've read over the last six months and forward to what you want to read for the next six months. Last year I was shocked to write out this post only to discover I read 18 books so far... it seemed so little to me! This year I'm happy to report that I've read 41 books so far in 2018... which seems like so many! I'm not sure what happened this year because school was kicking my ass (3rd year is HARD, y'all!), but I guess I found the time anyways (probably cause I took up reading when I lacked sleep). If you want to see everything I've read so far in 2018, here's a link to my 2018 bookshelf on Goodreads. And while you're there, add me as friend, and let me know my blog sent you!
On to the tag!

Best book so far...

This is really hard for me, so I'm picking two! This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab had so many quotes that really resonated with me and all the crap that's going down in the world right now. As a dystopian novel, it's mirroring a lot of the politics going on, but also how people feel towards those politics. It also has some amazing characters and development. Highly recommend.
I also really loved What if it's Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera, which is out in October (and I'll be putting up a review for!) and it was so realistic and good, but also happy and sad. If you can preorder, do it. Request it at your library now, cause you're gonna want to read it. 

Best sequel so far...

I haven't read many sequels this year. However, I really loved A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas. I know it's getting some flack, because it's like an epilogue someone would write on fanfiction.net, but I loved it because I am trash and I love a fluffy, no plot, no conflict glorified epilogue of an addictive series. The ACOTAR series is the Twilight of my adulthood. 

Anticipated release I haven't read yet...

I've been lucky that I've read a lot of my anticipated releases before they've come out this year. But one I've heard nothing but amazing things about and still need to get to is Girls Burn Brighter by Shobha Rao. I honestly know next to nothing about it, but everyone is really seeming to enjoy it and I'm on board. 

Most anticipated release for the second half of 2018...

I've already read it, but I still can't wait for The Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins to come out (something else I'm working on a review for). I love the podcast and the McElroys, and I know the world is gonna love this graphic novel! I also can't wait for The Darkest Legacy by Alexandra Bracken to come out so we can read more about Zu! 

Biggest disappointment...

I'm not gonna pretend Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi is the best series to be sitting on shelves today. But I was looking forward to Restore Me and the development of both the characters and Mafi's writing. But it disappointed me so much. How is Juliette still so mind-blowing annoying?
Also Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli, which presents a bisexual girl as it's main character, then has her shame someone who goes to her about being bisexual. You can read Boricuan Bookworm's post about that for the full story.

Biggest surprise...

Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events surprised me a lot. I think mostly because it's been so long since I've read the books. But they're so fun! (As fun as a series about orphans running from a guy after their money can be.)

Favourite new (to me) or debut author...

I've been flying through Victoria Schwab's books these last couple years. If she wasn't one of my faves before, she totally is now. I'm also eager to read more of Jaye Robin Brown's books, because I really liked Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit. 

Newest fictional crush...

August Flynn is a sweet ball of sunshine who needs to be protected. And Lila Bard, she could choke me and I'd die happy.

Newest favourite character...

The Kane's are amazing. They're not demigods, they're freaking badass descendants of Egyptian pharaohs. They're the whole package. Read The Kane Chronicles. This has been a PSA. 

Book that made me cry...

Learning to Breathe by Janice Lynn Mather is a really important book, but it's so sad. I cried multiple times throughout reading it because it's a very difficult book to get through. (If you look it up, be mindful of trigger warnings of sexual assault.)

Book that made me happy...

Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit by Jaye Robin Brown made me so happy. I loved reading about a girl who is confident and comfortable with her sexuality, who falls in love with another girl. She makes mistakes, but is realistic with herself. It also makes me really happy that this book is out in the world where other girls can read it, and it might help them be comfortable and feel valid in their own sexuality.

Favourite book-to-movie adaptation...

I'm not a huge movie person. So I'm not-that-sad to say I haven't seen any adaptations yet this year. But I am excited to go see The Hate U Give and The Darkest Minds later this year!

Favourite review I've written...

*embarrassed emoji* SKIP!

Most beautiful book I've bought...

White as Milk, Read as Blood is a freaking beautiful book, both inside and out. Willow Dawson's illustrations are gorgeous! 

Books I want to read before the end of 2018...

  • American Gods, Neil Gaiman
  • The Hate U Give, Angie Thomas
  • Down Among the Sticks and Bones, Seanan McGuire

And that's that! How has your reading year been going? 

Comments