Review: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman (White Pine Read #2)

Second White Pine Read: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman.
Seraphina is a high fantasy novel (High fantasy is a sub-genre of fantasy fiction, defined either by its setting in an imaginary world or by the epic stature of its characters, themes and plot - thanks wikipedia!) about a world where dragons and human co-exist. There is a treaty between them to help keep the peace but many people in the Kingdom don't agree with this. This is the basic plot behind the story.
To add onto the plot, Rachel Hartman's main character is Seraphina. She seems very unusual at first and personally, I didn't catch on until a few pages before the beans are spilled and you find out why. I won't reveal this why but it provides an interesting aspect to her job in the castle, though.
Sounds good right?
Unfortunately my brain didn't exactly think so. I found this really difficult to get through. I think it's the whole 'high fantasy' thing. I think it's hard for me a grasp a whole different world. By the end of this book I was used to it and could enjoy the ending for the greatness it is because I did love the story!
I'd recommend this to anyone how loves fantasy!
3 out of 5 stars!
my goodreads review
- Emily

Comments