Review: This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers (White Pine Read #1)

First book I've read in White Pine: This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers.

I've never read an apocalyptic book before and this is surely a start!
I didn't know much about this book when I picked it up so the first chapter slightly confused and it took me a while afterwards to figure out that the main character was abused before the apocalypse hit, so I think that's  important to realize before you start the book.
The main character is an eleventh grader(?) named Sloane Price. She ends up taking refuge in her high school with six other teenagers during the apocalypse. The whole premise of the book is finding out how they got there and what happens and what they plan to do since they can't stay in the school forever.
(note: I didn't know much about this book when I picked it up so the first chapter slightly confused and it took me a while afterwards to figure out that the main character was abused before the apocalypse hit, so I think that's  important to realize before you start the book.)
This book reminded me very much of Lord of the Flies in that you become really interested in the dynamics of the six teenagers stuck in their high school together. Despite the fact that they all go to this high school, they hardly know each other and I think that's the best part of the whole book. Watching the relationships develop is becomes seriously interesting.
That, and one small characteristic in Sloane that isn't present in the rest of them and I love watching this change even as Sloane doesn't realize it is.
I highly recommend this book to anyone. I really don't think it matters what your favourite genre of book is (unless your hardcore about high fantasy), you'll probably love it.
4.5 out of 5 stars.
I'm adding Courtney Summer's other books on to my to-read list as we speak!
my goodreads review
-Emily

Comments