Review: Public Relations by Katie Heaney and Arianna Rebolini

PUBLIC RELATIONS came out back on May 9th, and I couldn't stop thinking about it after reading the back when discovering it on a table at work.
It follows twenty-six year-old Rose, who quickly moved up the ranks at a Public Relations company. Her company has recently taken on a contract with Archie Fox, who got famous on YouTube and quickly became a pop-sensation. But since, his fame has been dwindling and his public reputation... well, it sucks. When Rose finds herself in a meeting with Archie, it's her knowledge of young girls and the internet that makes her propose the idea of staging a relationship. While Archie and Raya (a cool, young, upcoming star - think Halsey, or Lorde) are staging their relationship via Rose's instructions, Rose and Archie find themselves spending a lot of time together.
This sounded totally up my alley. I'm obsessed with "elite" lifestyles, and, of course, sexy/edgy pop stars. The Harry Styles, boyband, concert-loving me ate up this plot.
I finished this novel in about 3 days and rated it a 4 out of 5 stars. I really enjoyed the plot and it's homage to young teenage fangirls. Rose consistently defends fangirls around her white-male coworkers, which I loved and appreciated. Fangirls don't get enough credit. They're the ones buying hundreds of dollars worth of concert tickets, albums, merch, and provide endless amounts of free promo through social media.
Rose is suuuuper relatable. Well, for anyone that's career driven, I guess. She's not had a ton of relationships (I feel like having a ton of romantic relationships has been the exception, not the rule), she lives with a roommate from craigslist, and she's moved up in her career simply because she's good at it. She's a strong character, though, and always ready to defend the people she needs to. I appreciate that.
At the beginning of the novel, Rose's relationship with her best friend (Harper) is very important, but as the novel continues and drama ensues, their relationship takes a backseat. What I loved is that this doesn't go unnoticed by our authors. Rose and Harper have to work at their friendship when their love interests start to come first. It's a great example of girl-friendships that fail because they feel their love lives are more important, and a great example of working past that and learning from it.
Let's break it down:

  • Sexy singer/celebrity? Check!
  • Relatable main character? Check!
  • Positive female friendship? Check!
  • A little bit of steamy romance? Check!

My biggest complaint with this novel is that the ending wasn't long enough. I felt it ended quite abruptly, and the romance-lover in me hated it - I need more time with my couple! I found the novel as a whole was a bit choppy as well. The scenes didn't flow together as smoothly as I'd like them to. However, I felt the interactions were well-written and genuine, and not cheesy. Sometimes with novels like this, I find that the author tries to put in all these cheesy lines and metaphors and it doesn't work with the tone of the novel - but that did not happen here (thank goodness)! It was also a bit predictable, but I sort of expected that from the synopsis.
This one is an easy recommendation for me. You'll love it if you loved AFTER (Anna Todd), KILL THE BOY BAND (Goldy Moldavsky)w, or WHATEVER LIFE THROWS AT YOU (Julie Cross). While your at it, if you loved this one and need some recommendations, I loved all of the above ^.

Next on the TBR: What to Say Next, by Julie Buxbaum

Comments